29 January 2013

Mom's Go Anywhere Bag

Sorry for the unintended absence.  Work related travel + diabetes = life totally out of kilter for at least two weeks.


Getting back to my homemade Christmas gift parade, I am so excited to show you my mom's tote bag.
I thought this bag would be perfect for a school teacher bringing things back and forth from home.  I've had this pattern for a while, just waiting for the perfect time to use it.  It is from Anna of Noodlehead.  Here's the link if you'd like to get your own.  I am an Anna fan, and have more stuff inspired by her to show you soon.


The main body of the tote is grey canvas.  I bought a bunch hoping it would work to elongate my front room curtains, but it was the wrong grey.  However, this fabric has been awesome to have for several different projects...more to show later!

The decorative fabrics were purchased at my local fabric store.  The lining and straps are a Michael Miller print, the stripes and red just coordinated so well.


The pickets were all lined with the Michael Miller print.  Rather than use velcro, I chose to use a magnetic snap for the back pocket.


I found that using some fleece scraps helped to stabilize the snap, especially on an exterior pocket, as did stitching a neat little square around the snap.

Although Anna recommends a hidden magnetic snap for the main interior, I couldn't locate any in my neck of the woods, so a regular magnetic snap would have to do.


I also added some stitching for keeping pens/ pencils tidy.

I am happy to report my mom was tickled with her bag.

4 happy thoughts:

Tracy said...

That is a cute bag! Thanks for sharing :) Hope is well with you and your family :)

Unknown said...

A beauty Chris. I bet she just loves it!

Melissa said...

Pretty - nice work.

I am glad your kilt is hanging straight now. :)

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

What a nice gift. I've been using my Go Anywhere bag every day for about a year and a half, and the handles just finally wore out this week. Anna's patterns are so great. Love the grey/red/yellowy combo.

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...